Details of membership benefits and services are available in the membership page. The Institute’s newsletter, On Target, and its research journal the Management Accounting Frontiers (MAF) (formerly, JAMAR) are available in electronic format on this website. The Institute has a wide range of activities, in Australia and in its international branches.
The Institute offers a number of education programs that have received accreditation from many Australian and overseas universities. Being a CMA means a commitment to a continuous professional development, and the Institute offers seminars, training and other development activities to assist members achieve this objective. For the industry and employer perspective, the ICMA Registered Training Sponsor program offers industry-based certification for best practice in decision information and control systems.
The Institute is also an examining body, and members are required to pass examinations and other assessments and have relevant work experience prior to describing themselves as ‘Certified Management Accountants’. Business organizations are also accredited by the Institute as Private Providers – providing suitable training programs for prospective members to obtain their education requirements for membership.
CMA was established with a vision to attain the status of the premier body of professionals practising the science of management accounting. The Institute thus aims:
- To promote and develop the science of Management Accountancy and to foster and maintain investigations and research into the best means and methods of developing and applying such science and to encourage, increase, disseminate and promote knowledge, education and training and the exchange of information and ideas in respect of all questions relating thereto or connected therewith;
- To provide a professional organization for Management Accountants and by means of examination and other methods of assessment to test the skill and knowledge of persons desiring to enter the profession;
- To further the development of management accounting education in these disciplines in the universities and schools in Australia and internationally;
- To encourage research into the application of management accounting theory in practice;
- To hold conferences and publish a journal as a means for disseminating ideas and information in the discipline of management accounting, and for promoting their discussion.